Let me set the scene. . .
It was February 1991. It was the last few months of my senior year of high school. I was dating a cute waiter that I met at Queen Anne's Revenge. He attended Wanchese Assembly of God, though he didn't seem to be living for God - going to church seemed to be just what you did. Anyway, we went several times to church together, always sat in the back with all the other young people. There was *always* an alter call, always. And just about everyone went forward and filled the front of the church.
This one particular Sunday, I listened to the sermon and God was working on me. The experience was a little strange for me because it was completely unemotional. There were several times during my teenage years that I responded to God's call on my life, but it never seemed to 'stick'. Those were always emotion filled responses, and this time in February 1991 was different. I remember sitting by myself at the back of the church after most everyone around me had gone to the altar. God was talking to me, telling me it was time to really give my life to Him. I got up, but didn't want to make it a production, so I walked towards the front of the church - maybe the 5th or 6th row back. I knelt down and, without any pomp and circumstance, turned the remainder of my life over to The One who created me.
When I walked out, I had a smile on my face, but I don't remember telling anyone about it until later when I shared it with Randi Harrell. It was a decision I had made with my head, and it was the only decision that I could logically come to. There wasn't a large emotional response from me, maybe because there had been so many emotions thrown around before.
Jim and Candy Southern were the youth leaders at Manteo Assembly, where I started attending with Randi. They took me under their wing, loved me and helped me walk through those first few months. They were incredibly kind and loving to me! I can't begin to express how valuable they were to me in my walk with God and how much they did for my relationship with God. They began talking to me about being a junior counselor at a Christian youth camp that summer after graduation. I decided to go, never knowing that it would truly change my life.
I committed to go for two weeks to Camp Awanita. It was there that God rocked my world! He met me on such a personal level, ripping the scabs off my heart and healing them all at the same time. It was like sitting in a loving Dad's lap, and having him tell you it was all going to be okay. The One who created the universe loved me! What an incredible gift! I came out of those two weeks of camp with a new heart and an a future to look forward to.
During the time that followed, my world fell apart. My mom became ill, and all of my college money had to go to take care of her and to cover costs because she couldn't work anymore. I was okay with staying at home, working and helping my family. But God had other ideas!
A few days before school was to start at East Carolina, my aunt and my cousin conspired to pay for my first year of schooling and I was off to ECU! I was a little off kilter when I got to school, but on September 4th of 1991, God made it very clear to me that I needed to get to the mid-week service at Church of the Open Door that night. My room mate had my car, so I was running a little late when I found the church. When I walked through those big white front doors, I felt at home. They were coming to the end of praise and worship, and my friend from camp - Joe Sasser - was playing the guitar and singing. He smiled at me, and I sat down a few rows behind everyone else.
The Pastor stood up and asked if anyone had a testimony that they'd like to share. I raised my hand, and when he acknowledged me, I stood up and shared. Not remembering what I shared, I *think* it was some of what I said above. I remember giving God the glory for what He was doing in my life. Little did I know, my future husband was a few rows up, slumped down in his seat and being fanned by those around him, because he was blown away by me. That began our lives together. He proposed in May 1992, and we married the following August 15, 1992.
We were both young and strong willed, and it was a rocky start for us. In May 1993, (just eight months after we married) my mom died from a stroke. It shook me, probably more than I was willing to admit. As time went by, I missed her more and more. Especially when she missed big milestones: the birth of my nephew, my brothers marriage, the birth of my kids. She would have been so thrilled to get to know her seven grandchildren!
It's been a long and winding road, but God has been faithful through all of it - every step. We moved around a little, but landed back in Pitt County in 2000 with a three year old little girl. We bought a small house in Ayden, not knowing that by the time we moved to Greenville in 2005, we would have added three little boys to our family!
Eventually God took us full circle, and in January 2008, we went home to Open Door Ministries. We arrived limping and tired, and were welcomed with open arms. We were greatly worn down from pastoring a small church in Greenville from March 2002 until January 2008. God, being the loving Father that He is, led us home, and has allowed us to serve there since.
I can say it hasn't been an easy road. There have been very difficult and untimely deaths, rejection, marriage problems, depression, physical challenges, identity questions, 36 months of pregnancy and 49 months nursing those babies, eight years of homeschooling, and a whole host of other things I'm too tired to think of right now. But, God has never left me, walked away, turned his back, or lost hope in me. That is, all by itself, enough to live a life of gratefulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment