Friday, June 5, 2009

About 18 months ago we closed our church - the church we had pastored for six years. Since then we've been in a place of. . . well, I don't know. It's not been rest, so much. Maybe a place of being dormant. We haven't grown in our relationship with God, nor have we run away from Him. We have happily served at Open Door as Life Group leaders, but that's about it. We haven't been seeking God, nor really running from Him - just stagnant, sitting, receiving, but, definitely not growing.

As we closed our church, God had us make a safe landing at Open Door Ministries. This was the place we met, dated, and married. The place where we found a family many years ago. Once again, we found family. We found a welcoming place of acceptance, love, rest, and friends. There was never any expectation of us to *do* anything. Sometimes I think we wanted to be expected to do something, if that makes sense. But they were wise in letting us have space and time - giving God the privilege to call us back into service. And I think that time has come.

As we waited for our life group to start last night, Elliotte and I began to share what we felt like God was doing in each of us. You see, for the first time in what feels like a lifetime, I felt like I had something to share. We both had prayed (for a long time) for God to awaken us again, and to draw us closer to Himself. And, now, He is doing just that. We both have felt a stirring in deep within us, in our spirit, to wake up and begin to walk forward. Not knowing what He's doing, but knowing He is doing the work within us is hugely comforting. We aren't out there on our own, but safely in His hands. . .that's exactly where we want to be.

So, we don't know what we will be doing weeks or months from now, but we know that God is the One doing the work, moving us forward to accomplish His purposes. Praise the One who created us, loves us, and has called us! He showed His love for us by giving His Son so that we could have life - and have it completely. Not living in fear or defeat, but knowing that we are called by Him to accomplish much on this earth. Showing others God's love by the love we share.

1 comment:

Angel said...

We haven't been seeking God, nor really running from Him - just stagnant, sitting, receiving, but, definitely not growing.
I know that feeling. Sometimes I feel like my bottom has fallen asleep, I have sat and received for so long. I hope you have enjoyed the rest and are ready for the marathon. Good running shoes are required for this race, but I don't think you will find them at Target. Sorry.